Lemon Crinkle Cookies

This isn’t so much the case in San Antonio right now (where it’s a balmy 68 degrees), but around this time in New Jersey, I start to go a little sunshine-deprivation crazy. I start to crave citrus, sunshine, and time outdoors – even though it’s usually in the 20s.

That’s where these Lemon Crinkle Cookies come in. They’re a direct inspiration from Jamie’s post for Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. I’m certainly not reinventing the wheel here.

But when it’s dark and dreary and you just need a little sunshine in your life? These are the ticket. Using lemon extract and lemon cake, the perfectly lemon-y yumminess is hard to beat.

Plus, because it’s a recipe where you’re doctoring up a cake mix, it comes together in *no* time.

Brighten up the day of someone you love with some delightful lemon cookies, my friends. The smiles you get back are worth it.

Comments

1. Abigail says

I’m so excited by how easy these are – I just need to buy lemon cake mix! Definitely making some to bring into work on the first day of class.

Amanda, I don’t usually keep it on hand either, but after I tried these cookies once, I went out and bought like one of every flavor (hellooooo spice cake!) to keep in the pantry for emergency cookie situations (i.e. PMS).

Me too, Callye! I love lemon and citrus anything, especially cakes, cookies, and gummy candy. Also, thank you so much for sharing on Facebook. That was so very kind of you. <3

2. Angie R. says

These look so good! Are you from San Antonio? One of my favorite places and I was just there last week for the Alamo Bowl. The weather was amazing! Sic ‘em Bears!

Angie, I sure am. I live in New Jersey now, but San Antonio born and raised. And my baby cousin Alycia *just* graduated from Baylor about 3 weeks ago. Sic ‘em Bears indeed!

Lim, you can use any box cake mix of your choosing. It doesn’t have to be Duncan Hines, it just has to be the large 18 oz size. You can use any flavor – if you’re using chocolate or vanilla, use any other extract you’d like, from vanilla to peppermint to orange (think chocolate oranges or creamsicle like flavors!).

Thanks, Angie, I’ll let her know. She just moved back up here to NJ/NJ area. She’s so excited to be graduated and starting her “grown up” life.

I love crinckles. I always make them with chocolate but never lemon. Tartness though is my preferred taste so am definitely trying these soon. New to your site through blog hop. Nice meeting!!

These look delish! I could use a little sunshine right now. It’s dreary and raining… And, I am wrapped up in a blanket on the couch drinking tea.

Now your talking! I am not a big chocolate lover, but always say I need to make chocolate crinkle cookie. Now I so would rather make these beautiful little cookies, I would devour them:-) Take care, Terra

6. Maria says

You said 18 oz of cake mix, but I can never find 18 oz in the store, all I can find is 16 or 19 oz, will that work for the recipe? Thank you!

7. betty says

Hi there!
    i bought the ingredients today!
    I’m hoping to make the cookie balls and freeze the dough to use as needed.
    We like to eat our cookies in batches of 4-6 hot out of the oven.
    Have you ever tried this recipe as a freezer cookie dough before?
    If so, do you have any tips?
    thanks so much,
    betty

Hi Betty,
      I haven’t tried it as a freezer recipe, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Please let me know how they turn out!