Nanny’s Kahlua Pie

Kahlua Pie has always been a big deal in our family. Nanny made it a lot, especially at Christmas time, when my Uncle Charlie would request it as his “birthday pie” – he was born on Christmas Eve.

One thing I’m grateful for is that my family recognizes the special bond Nan and I had over cooking, and they have allowed me to be family keeper of all recipes and cookbooks that once belonged to her. As I poured through the hundreds of cookbooks (gee, I guess that cookbook addiction is genetic!) in the library of her house, it was like taking a trip through my childhood.

What I loved finding most were the handwritten recipe cards and notes in the margins of some of her most used books. I don’t know.. I feel this way about seeing either of my grandparents’ handwriting – it’s like there’s a piece of them still here, calling out to me. Reminding me of who they were, and who they were to me.

So finding this Kahlua Pie recipe stuck in the pages of an old VFW cookbook might have made me tear up a little. It was like Nan was reaching out saying, “Here, Am, make this.”.

Of course, Nan always made this as one giant 9 inch pie, and you can do that. But I had this really cool Cup Pie Set from Chicago Metallics, so I thought, why not give it a go?

When I was talking with friends about this recipe, they were surprised to hear it uses a regular pastry crust, rather than a cookie crust. I have to tell you, I don’t think this pie would be quite right without the pastry crust. It’s just savory and buttery enough to cut some of the sweetness of the pie, and to me, the texture is perfect.

Besides, this is the way Nanny always made it. And so to me, it’s perfect. I’d love to hear your results if you did try it with a cookie or graham cracker crust.

The individual pies were quite a treat. The original recipe makes about a cup too much extra filling for the individual size, but you can either make 2 more pies, or stick the filling in the freezer and eat it like ice cream.

I hope you love Nanny’s Kahlua Pie as much as I do.

Disclosure: I am a Chicago Metallics Baking Partner. I was provided with the Chicago Metallic Cup Pie Set free of charge, but the choice to use the recipe and the experiences baking with it are my own. I was not compensated for this post monetarily.

Nanny's Kahlua Pie
Nanny's Kahlua Pie

Comments

It’s true. I’m blessed that she was my grandma. I miss her, but it’s easier to not feel sad knowing I’ll keep cooking with her for the rest of my life.

…..She has cookbooks at her house that already have my name written in the front of them. She told me it’s because she want’s to make sure I get the ones she loved/used the most. Several years ago she was diagnosed with cancer and while she didn’t have the energy for much during chemo I’d take the lap top and we started compiling a list of family favorite recipes. I have notes and slips of paper that I can’t stand to part with even though the recipes are recorded simply because they are written in her hand. She’s still with us so I’m bless to still be able to bake with her and bounce ideas off her, but I know one day I’m going to be so grateful to have all those hand written notes of hers. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us!!

Mini pies are awesome and these look so darn delicious. I have my a recipe that my grandmother wrote out for me when I was first on my own. I treasure it. So glad your family recognized the connection between you and your Nanny and made sure you have her recipes. Really special.

I am so glad you shared this treasured recipe from your grandmother! My mother has a big tin full of handwritten recipes from my grandmother which will be handed down some day, I am sure they will bring back memories.
    I have saved this recipe to make on a special occassion, simply delicious.

This pie sounds like nothing short of perfection. Grandmas’ recipes are definitely the best. And how wonderful that you’ll be able to keep on cooking with her through all of her notes and cookbooks. :-)

Amber, I am sooooooo happy you got the collection of cookbooks . . . to me, there just isn’t anything better than that – and seeing the hand-written recipe cards?? makes my heart happy, happy, happy!! Will definitely mark this one to make – wow!

Amber! So happy you got to keep the cookbooks and recipes! I love it when a hand written recipe cards is passed on. Its just so much more personal.

The pie looks scrumptious. You had me at Kahlua. Bookmarked. :)

These look really good! It must be so nice to find all those old recipes and be able to share your grandma’s love of cooking and baking. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Just made this for my husband tonight. He really enjoyed it! He said it was light, fluffy, and not too rich…or in his words, “You can eat a whole slice without feeling sick.” Uh, thanks, husband! And he said true to the drink itself! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

I was following the ScharffenBerger chat today. Thanks for posting this! I just loved seeing the well-loved, hand-written recipe card in your photos. So reminiscent of many of my family’s recipes that I cherish so much. I can’t wait to try this! I also can’t wait to see what tweaks you will be making to this.