Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes for Jamie

I feel sorry for winter babies. Being one myself, I know the envy that is birthday pool parties, slip and slides and barbecue parties, or, well, pretty much any outdoor party you can think of. When February rolled around every year, all I wanted was a pool party with an ice cream sundae bar like my sister.

So I feel for Little E, my soon-to-be niece, over there in Ohio. Baby Girl, I know you will wish for birthday parties with swimwear and grilled meats. But I promise that your mama and I will do everything we can to make your winter birthday super sunshiny and happy every year.

In case you haven’t heard, my dearest friend in all the land (to quote Kristan) is about to have a baby girl. Our little ones will be just about 3 months apart, and I already have secret machinations to betrothe them to one another as soon as possible so that Jamie and I can be family f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Sounds like a solid plan, right?

Back to cupcakes. The thing about the internet is that your bestest friends can sometimes live hundreds of miles from you. As much as I’d like to take my little tush to Ohio and throw Jamie the rockin’-est baby shower (Not that she’d actually want one – stubborn girl), it’s really not an option when I have my own newborn and the weather has made traveling incredibly stupid lately.

So we’re throwing Jamie our own little baby shower right here on the interwebnets. I made the most delicious of cupcakes for mah girl, because we all know Jamie loves a good cupcake. You’ve seen her chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes, right? And her Rolo cupcakes are not to be missed.

I wanted something light and bright, with a sweet little surprise inside, just like Jamie and her baby girl. These Strawberry Lemon cupcakes are just the ticket. The cake is just the right amount of lemon-y and sweet.

Tucked inside each one is a fresh strawberry. And each one is topped with a light strawberry frosting made with yummy preserves for an extra sweet finish. These are exactly the sort of cupcakes you’d want to see on the dessert table of a baby girl’s baby shower. Something summery to help you forget that it’s silly cold outside.

Jamie, you know I couldn’t live without you. You make me laugh every day, and it’s the best thing in the world to have a friend that just gets me. I can’t wait for our littles to be the best of friends. James and I couldn’t be happier for you and Eric. Baby E is the luckiest little girl in the world. We love her so much already!

Amber from Bluebonnets & Brownies | Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes
Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Samoa Layer Cake

Lemon Cupcakes Photo from BluebonnetsandBrownies.com
Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes for Jamie
Lemon Cupcakes Photo from BluebonnetsandBrownies.com
Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes for Jamie

Comments

Robyn, thanks for a great recipe to base them off of. The cake is perfect, just like you said. It definitely lends itself perfectly to lemon too.

How perfect that you two are having babies so close together!! the cupcakes are perfect. How fun would it be if we could all really get together today!!

Alas, the virtual shower is the perfect solution to celebrate!!!

I can’t say for sure if Jamie’s on board, but I’m certainly going to be singing Baby E’s praises to Evan as much as possible. 😉 And that cake stand was a gift from Casey. Isn’t she awesome?

What a perfectly cute way to celebrate Jamie today! My birthday is mid-March, so I get sort of the crap-shoot of seasons every year. Some years it’s warm, some it’s cold; I try to tell myself it’s the best of both worlds., but I usually wind up knee deep in slushy snow!

Ruthy, my husband is mid-March too. I say you and he are both old enough to hold your birthday parties in South Florida every year, thus ensuring sunshine and bright skies :)

3. Elizabeth says

These look so tasty! Once i’m over this whole GF-trial nonsense, I’ll have to make them since we both know how much I adore your recipes. And congrats to Jamie!!!

PS – the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. As a summer birthday girl, I was always envious of the ones that got to have parties at school and wear the birthday crown – people were always on vacation during the summer (but I did have a pool party every year with grilled hot dogs 😉 ).

E, I didn’t know you were going GF! If you don’t want to wait, I’m pretty sure this recipe would lend itself well to King Arthur Flour’s gluten free all purpose flour blend.

I still think you got the better end of the stick. Who the hell wants to be in *school* on their birthday?!

• Elizabeth says

It’s just a trial!! I always have headaches (I swear this one has been going on for at least a month), so I’m going to see if it helps. I’m hoping it does, but I’m also hoping it doesn’t because this girl loves her carbs. and baking. and eating.

Awe these cupcakes sound divine and perfect for summer in winter 😉 I have an April party and its always still a little too cold for pool parties and slip and slides. A great excuse to have a “first day of summer” party! :)

I always struggle to put my feelings into words, but you do it so beautifully, Amber! Thank you so much for hosting this party for Jamie, and it would have been super fun to have you come to Ohio a throw a bash (maybe for her first birthday?!) These cupcakes look so perfect, and I can’t get over how sweet the little strawberry in the middle is. Baby ‘E’ is one lucky little girl to have such an awesome aunt!!

I think it’s a date. Though let’s all truck to Florida for a mega first birthday party instead. Thank you for your sweet words, Emily. I loved your post, I don’t know what you’re talking about, struggle!

Shaina, I was worried those strawberries weren’t going to work out, but they do. They SO do. They cook a little bit, but not enough to disappear. They’re the perfect juicy pop in the center of each cupcake. And yes! Hooray for arranged marriages. 😉

LOVE, what a sweet post!!! Good friends all around! And I do feel for you winter babies, I’m an August baby the only issue is EVERYONE was always on vacation for my birthday parties!! So maybe winter isn’t too bad after all :)

I know we’ve talked via the phone and text several times today. However, I wanted to express my gratitude to you one more time. You are amazing and I couldn’t ask for a better friend. Baby E is definitely lucky to have one hell of an aunt and a super adorable future husband! :) Love ya bunches!!!!

Serena, thanks for your sweet comment! You get what I was trying to do here – lots of sunshine for winter babies in cupcake form. You should make them for your winter babies. :)

These look so adorable and best of luck to Jamie! So lucky you gals are having your first babies together! I think these might be perfect for Miss Lyla’s birthday! Not until April 1st but she is already planning :) She will probably refer to them as “lemonade” and strawberry cupcakes.

9. Luisa D'Lima says

Hi! I am from England and I don’t think we have shortening here. Do you know of any substitute I could use? The cakes look so gorgeous. Thanks.

10. Luisa D'Lima says

Forgot to say, it was my birthday yesterday, and i was always ( and still am!) jealous of summer birthdays! These cakes would definitely give me a taste of summer for my dark January birthday! Think I will be making these next year!

There’s just something about strawberry and lemon together….makes me think of warmer weather! I could sure use some of that right about now :) I had birthday envy when it came to summer babies as well. My birthday was just a couple of weeks ago – I always had sledding parties growing up….they get old after a while LOL