Jargaritas

One of my fondest memories from last year’s Big Summer Potluck was standing in the kitchen, surveying the chaos of the Friday night party, when Colleen from Souffle Bombay flew by me with a big smile on her face and a little frozen jar of brilliance that she thrust into my hands as she walked past.

I can’t remember if we called them Jargaritas that night, or if it’s something James came up with later, so you’ll have to forgive me if it was Colleen or someone at BSP that came up with that name and I’m not giving them credit.

As soon as all the girls (Aimee, Shaina, Tracy, and Jeanne) and I got home, we regaled James with stories of those Jargaritas, and how amazing they were. Well, all of us except Aimee, who was newly pregnant. I think she’s hoping the Jargaritas make an appearance at this year’s conference too!

James was intrigued, and insisted we make them ourselves at the first available opportunity. Now, they are a staple at our house. Perfect for sipping while we sit in the hot tub of an evening. Even more perfect en-mass for parties and barbecues.

Here’s why Jargaritas are so brilliant: It takes just moments to mix the concoction and distribute it among 12 Mason jars. Place the jars (in their box, for easy transport) in the freezer, and then leave them there.

Whenever you fancy a little slushy libation, just mosey on over to the freezer, grab a jar, shake it, unscrew the lid, and pop a straw in.

Perfectly textured frozen margaritas without any blenders, mess, or mixes filled with high fructose corn syrup. (Though if you use frozen canned limeade concentrate, most versions do have HFCS in them. See my link in the comments below for an HFCS free recipe.)

Because of the alcohol content, Jargaritas never completely freeze.

If you have a barbecue coming up, you can make these drinks weeks in advance, so long as you have the freezer room, and it’s one less thing to do the day of your party.

Colleen, I really must thank you for this recipe. It’s become such a staple in our house!

Feel free to play around with the recipe to suit your taste buds. Colleen’s recipe calls for Chambord, which is incredibly delicious. But once we’ve burned through our current stash, I’m going to switch in Limoncello for the Chambord and see how we do.

Jargaritas
Jargaritas

Comments

Love, love, LOVE this idea! 😀

I host a “Happy Hour Friday” link up every friday. Would love to have you stop by and share this idea or any other cocktails you’ve got. It’s lots of fun :)

–Shelley

Mmm, these were one of the best things about BSP! 😉 I love love love these, and still have to make them at home because I keep forgetting to pick up Chambord. I love the idea of using Limoncello, too! These are perfect anytime but now that the weather is warming up, I can’t wait to start making them.

Ha! Why is it my recipes always involve booze? I swear I’m not that much of a boozehound. I can’t take all the credit, but I’m glad you love them. Colleen is pretty smart.

So glad you and your hubs enjoy them Amber! When I heard we had to bring a gluten-free dish to BSP2…my mind turned to alcohol (don’t judge… lol)! They may have to make a reappearance this year at BSP3…we shall see. I am such a Chambord lov-ah…I even put it in my chocolate mousse :) Let me know how the Limoncello ones turn out – great idea!!
    And I have no idea who coined the name Jargaritas…I thought it was you :)

LOVE it! Since I’m stuck in Alaska for now, I’m probably going to make some little sweaters for these guys, too (FreeCycled of course). To keep our hands warm while we hold them. I’m going to get my jars out now. I’ve been on a freezer meal kick lately, and this rounds out my menu so nicely. HA. Now I know what I’m having with my Tamale pie. (and my cheese soup, and my French Dip, and well, I think you know where I’m going with this)

5. Kris says

I got SO excited reading this when you said “without any blenders, mess, or mixes filled with high fructose corn syrup” because our family cannot have high fructose corn syrup (due to health issues.) However … the recipe has frozen limeade which, of course, is full of high fructose corn syrup. :'(
    Do you (or ANY one) know of something we can substitute this with?? Oh, this sounded so good too ….

Kris, you’re absolutely right. I took the easy route when I posted the recipe and used canned limeade concentrate. I know there are organic versions out there, but you are right that the one I grabbed had HFCS in it. I’m sorry.

Limeade concentrate is actually really simple to make though. Here’s a link to a simple recipe: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/66/Limeade

It makes about four cups of limeade concentrate, but you only need 1 1/2. So you could either make the full recipe and have left over for making cherry limeades (yum!) or you can cut down the recipe by using a ration of 1:3 – for every 1 measurement of lime juice, you need 3 times as much simple syrup.

I hope that helps, and I’m sorry for misleading you. I’ve edited the post.

• Kris says

Amber, thanks SO much for the info on making my own limeade concentrate! I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve passed over through the years because we couldn’t use the store-bought concentrates. I’m SO excited! And I’m starting by making your Jargaritas. :)
        By the way, I didn’t feel “mislead”. HFCS seems to be in everything & I know it’s easy to forget – or just not realize – how many things have it.
        Again, THANK YOU :)

Kris, you’re very welcome. I’m glad I could help, and I hope you let me know how that homemade concentrate is in the Jargaritas :)

6. Johana says

I made this for my hubby and me he couldn’t stop taking them from the freezer!!! All of them were gone in 3 days! Delicious margaritas! Thank u very much for sharing, next I’m going to make mango jargaritas yuuuum!

Johana, thanks so much for taking the time to come back and tell me how you liked them. I wish I could be around for your next experiment with Jargaritas, it sounds great!

7. Johana says

I will definitely let you know how they came out, haven’t had the time to do it yet but we are so overdue for Jargaritas!!!! Thanks once again for sharing! :-)

8. jessica says

I have made these twice and while they taste really good they don’t freeze. I have followed the directions to the letter and no matter how ling I leave them in the freezer they just don’t slush up the are complete liquid. Help what am I doing wrong?

Jessica, thanks for stopping by. We’ve made them several times too, and never had a problem with them not freezing. We’ve actually had a problem with them freezing too much and needing to thaw out a bit to get to slushy form.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your freezer is packed too full? Liquid can be funny that way, and if there’s not enough air circulation to go around, it won’t freeze.

If you’re dealing with a small freezer space, maybe try just putting *one* jar in to freeze, and see if it does?

I’m sorry you’ve had troubles. Let me know if you try what I suggested, and if it works out.

Excellent…………Hub and I made last night, Just took one out to taste test, and hub says they passed. When making them last night before the freeze he wasn’t very impressed. But today very good. I used the box to put them in the freezer and they froze very nice. I will be sharing these on my blog at some point, I shut the oven off for the summer taking a break……………thank you very much for a wonderful “Jargaritas” andi

10. Ginny says

I found this on Pinterest and it looks awesome! Question, without mason jars, could the whole batch be frozen in either a pitcher or a freezer ziploc bag and then served into Margarita glasses??

Hi Ginny,

I’m not sure how either would turn out. I definitely think the larger the vessel, the more unlikely they are to get “slushy”. If you try either option, do let me know how it goes!

Amber

11. Ginny says

Happy to report I made a batch in a Ziploc freezer bag and it worked great! It was the right slushy consistency, and I was able to “stir” it around by squishing the bag a couple of times while it was freezing. It was a big hit, and will be making it again!

12. susanpvt says

Someone forwarded me this link. I made THREE sets of them for our week at camp and they were so good. They have become legendary in our group and we have been sending your link out to others. We ran out of frozen limeade so we used frozen lemonade and that was delish. We also used Limoncello instead of Chambord. Such a great idea!

Susan, thanks so much for coming back and leaving a comment! I’m so glad they’ve become crowd pleasers for ya. I’ll definitely have to try the “Lemonade” version with lemonade and limoncello, that sounds incredible and right up my hubby’s alley.