Shiner Bock Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

If you’re Texan, you know Shiner. Shiner, Texas, that is. Famous for one thing: Shiner Bock beer. Spoetzl Brewery, where Shiner Bock is brewed, has been in business since 1909, and is the oldest independent brewery in Texas.

Shiner Bock is Spoetzl’s flagship beer. Brewed since 1913, this dark and dangerous brew was originally considered a lent beer. Only about 30 years ago did Spoetzl start making Shiner Bock year round.

Now, we’ve discussed before that I’m not a beer drinker. But I sure can use it in a baked good. It makes me a very proud Texan to say just how amazingly diet-crash-worthy these cupcakes are.

They’re exactly the sort of dark and dangerous you want to make for a sweetheart this Valentine’s day. The beer is nowhere near as dark as Guinness, but I think it goes just as well with chocolate as the stout does.

Shiner Bock doesn’t overwhelm the cupcake, but you can definitely tell it’s there. A delicious, deep undertone that will have people asking you, “Just what is in this cupcake?”.

And don’t worry – they’re safe to share with your favorite mini-Valentines. The alcohol cooks out as the cupcakes bake.

Be sure to use a high quality cocoa powder like Scharffen Berger to achieve fantastic chocolate flavor, okay?

P.S. Love those Silicone Heart Cupcake Bakers? You can get them from King Arthur Flour.

Shiner Bock Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
Shiner Bock Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

Comments

I’m kind of in love with these cupcakes. If I had an oven available, I’d be baking these up right now! Maybe next Valentine’s Day…nah, I can’t wait that long. 😉

Aww Tracy, I think you need to buy a Breville Smart Oven and then just take it home with you. And I’d love to see you make these with sunbutter cream cheese frosting. I bet that’d be amazing!

2. Bonnie K says

These are very pretty, and I’m definitely curious how it would taste. I’ve had chocolate mousse with stout and love it. So, I’m sure I would love this cupcake.

A great recipe for valentines day treats my husband will love the cakes he loves his beer but also the M&M’s. Not sure what beer here in the UK will be anything near your Shiner Bock beer.

I’ve never heard of Bock but man these look good!!! And I’m so glad you’ll be sharing my pumpkin CC recipe with your dad! My mom is diabetic and that got me cooking lower sugar and lower fat things for her. I think white chocolate chips are a great substitute too!

5. misty says

Saw the post for this recipe, shared by Sweet Sugarbelle. I was skeptical (I’m not a beer lover) but made them for a Texas Independence Day celebration. Holy cow, they were great! (I added some homemade vanilla buttercream frosting into the peanut butter cream cheese frosting & thinned it with a dash of buttermilk.) Yum! Thanks for posting the recipe (and thanks to Sugarbelle for sharing it)!

6. AG says

These look delicious! I wanted to make a cake instead of cupcakes…What changes should I make for two eight inch cake pans? Longer time? ? Thanks!

AG, you’d probably need a slightly longer cooking time, but only by a few minutes. Check the cakes at 22 minutes, and then again at 25. You want a toothpick to come out of the center cleanly, but leave them slightly underdone. The cakes will cook a bit more while they cool, but stay moist.