Secret Recipe Club – Malt Chocolate Cupcakes

It’s time for another Secret Recipe Club post! I’ll tell you, I really love how being part of the club forces you to get to know someone’s blog, writing style, and photography style. It can be too easy to hit the StumbleUpon button, like what you see, but then move on in your everlasting quest to get to the end of the Internet.

Secret Recipe Club

This month I was assigned Savvy Eats – All About Smart Food & Fitness. Written by Julie, she is passionate about living savvy – being smart about what you eat, how you exercise, and about continuing to learn. That’s something I can definitely get down with – I’m a firm believer that you should never stop learning!

Sidebar: It’s a secret wish of mine to name my future little girl Savannah, and then call her Savvy. How adorable is that as a nickname?

Where were we? Oh yeah – leave it to me to find what is probably the most unhealthy recipe Julie’s dared to post – Chocolate Malt Cake. There was never a chance I’d start with anything else from her blog once I saw that though. You see, The Brit loves anything and everything malt. How could I resist the opportunity to make a chocolatey dessert like this when I knew it would make his day?

I turned Julie’s Chocolate Malt Cake into cupcakes. And because I’m lazy, I simplified her marshmallow filling a little bit. I have to tell you, this turned into one SUPER delicious cupcake. I added malted milk balls for garnish, and really love how they look like a jaunty little top hat of an accent.

I used Scharffen Berger baking chocolate in powdered and melting form, and it is just gorgeous. If you have the chance, I highly recommend getting some for any chocolate dessert you make.

I hope you’ll make these for your favorite person – for a birthday, like Julie did – or just because, like I did.

Secret Recipe Club - Malt Chocolate Cupcakes
Print Recipe
Secret Recipe Club - Malt Chocolate Cupcakes
Print Recipe

Comments

These cupcakes are just so adorable. I love the malt ball topping… it’s perfect. :)
    I’m going to have to see if I can hunt down some malt powder to try these out. There’s no way I could pass up a recipe that includes a Maple Marshmallow Filling! Yum.

Isabelle, I highly recommend ordering it directly from King Arthur Flour. Their product quality is excellent, and they ship pretty quickly. Thanks for visiting!

Hi there….I had your blog this month. I love it! I know I’ll be back….to find other great stuff to make and bake.
    I’ve had such fun with the Secret Recipe Club.

and that Tortilla Soup really was a great soup. I can’t wait for leftovers tonight….yes, I did procrastinate and not make it until yesterday. But as I said, it was the perfect day for soup.

Debbie, thanks so much! I’m headed over there to comment when I finish work tonight. I did read it this morning, and I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I love that soup too, and you reminded me that I haven’t made it in a long while.

Haha! I’m glad, Nancy. I’d love to see you make a gluten free version of this – though I’m not sure malt is gluten free? Maybe we can figure out another flavor that mimics it? Let’s work that out!

You made a great choice, in scanning the ingredients I was happy to find coffee listed. Having malt, chocolate and coffee together in a cupcake certainly gets my vote. However, your pictures certainly had an influence! Well done.

Thanks so much, Katrina! I’ll tell you, they were a big hit around here. I gave the majority of the cupcakes to the guy who finally came to remove that darn tree, and he was muy happy with me! :)

We call my husband Mr. Extra….and extra malt in his malt is always his request. He will be shocked if I make these for him…(I have him on a diet!)

Susie, that cracks me up. You should so make him these as a surprise. We all need a treat now and then, even when we’re on a diet. What we do around here is to have one or two of whatever I make, and then give them away – the dentist, the vet, my husband’s coworkers.. it makes us quite popular!

Desi, they really weren’t that bad. With the simplified marshmallow filling, it was really only as much work as filling 2 different pastry bags – one for marshmallow cream, and the other for frosting. If you didn’t want to make your own frosting, you could always use a can from the grocery store, and add malt powder and a little milk to it to make it the right consistency.

Thank you, Sara! What a lovely compliment. They certainly were tempting. After eating a few cupcakes each, I pawned the rest off onto the guy removing our Hurricane Irene fallen tree. Two hours later, my husband forlornly asked me, “You gave them ALL to Ed?”

I love how the frosting looks like it just melts in your mouth. I love anything malt too. These would be perfect for a birthday party, but I probably wouldn’t be able to wait and I’d make them just because. Lovely photos, too!!

I keep seeing malted milk powder in recipes all over the place… I think I need to get my hands on some now. I haven’t touched the stuff since I worked in an ice cream parlor (all throughout high school) and made my share of malted milkshakes. I just remember it being sticky and hard to get off of your hands once it got wet.

Anyway, these cupcakes look glorious, and I think they may have changed my mind. But, I can promise you I won’t be making any milkshakes. :)

Hi Ash,

Half and half is a milk product we get here in the US. It’s equal parts heavy cream and regular milk. You can make your own fairly easily. Use whole milk, mix 3/4 cup of whole milk with 1/4 cup of heavy cream to approximate half & half.