Maple Sugar Bacon, Cheddar & Rosemary Scones

I can hardly believe it. In just a few short days, my nephew Davey enters Kindergarten for the first time. I’m so excited, freaked out, flabbergasted – and I’m just his aunt! I can’t imagine how my sister is feeling about all of this.

Since removing high fructose corn syrup from the kids’ diet earlier this summer, she and my brother in law have seen a remarkable change in them both. But doing so also means that breakfast times are a little bit more plan-ahead than they used to be. After all – no more pop-tarts!

Two weeks ago, I ventured into New York City with Aimee from Simple Bites and Tracy from Sugarcrafter. We decided to do a self-designed trip through NYC, one blissful bite of food at a time.

Aimee quickly came up with the idea to start off at Clinton Street Baking Company, where we gorged on freshly made biscuits and pancakes, and one thing I could not stop eating – their sugar cured bacon.

So this past weekend, I decided to recreate it. Never one to leave well enough alone, I thought, “What can I put this INTO?” – and of course, the answer was pretty obvious: scones.

Savory breakfast scones that you can grab on the way out the door at room temperature, or after a quick warm up in the microwave or oven. They transport to the car easily (or booster seat, as the case may be!).

Davey isn’t the only one going to school this Fall. His mama recently decided to go back too, for an advanced degree.

This is the kind of heartwarming breakfast I’d make for Davey and his mama on their first day of school if I could. I hope his mama tries, even though I know baking’s totally not her thing. But her kids ARE her thing, and she’d do anything for them.

Good luck, Sis – and Davey – with school this Fall.

Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by Shenandoah Growers Organic Fresh Herbs.

Comments

Well, first of all, these look delicious. I love me some savory breakfast. :)

I’m also curious–what sort of change did your sister and her husband notice after nixing the corn syrup? I’ve heard tell that it does make a difference, but I’ve never actually known anyone who’s gone cold turkey on it. It’s definitely something I’d like to learn more about.

Tara – according to my sister, both kids are less “immediately” defiant, and David is able to focus on tasks for longer periods of time (He also has ADHD, inherited from his daddy, so this is a big deal). She also says they’re both less “frenetic”.

Scones are a favorite of mine and I love this savory version! Printed and plan to bake. By the way, just pulled a scone from the freezer this morning! Thanks!

I love the phrase “Good Gravy” – such a Southern thing to say ;) Let me know if you make them, Heather. I’d love to hear how you like them.

You are a woman after my own heart, putting that bacon into these amazing scones. ;-) I can’t wait to try the bacon myself, and I’m definitely going to put whatever I don’t eat like candy into the scones!!

That is, if you can manage not to eat all the Meat Candy. I struggled, I really did, to have enough left over for the scones – and I made an entire package!

I *always* use KerryGold if I can help it. With a Brit in the house, it’s kind of required. Sadly these are long gone, but we could make another batch together when I get there!

4. sweetsugarbelle says

I was excited about these! Well really the bacon. I had no idea you were gonna take it up a notch and add scones to the equation!!! The sound amazing!!! I love scones.

Girl, that bacon is all kinds of insane. You better make it, stat – and then if there’s any left over, make the scones!

Rachel, they’re so perfect. I was really excited about the crumb on the scone. I think you’re going to love them.