Tacos de Camaron

Tacos de camaron (kam-ah-rohne) are a standard on most Mexican restaurants where I come from. Some people think of them as Shrimp fajitas, others simply shrimp tacos. Any way you look at it, you’re looking at a delicious dinner in a very short amount of time.

Grilling season starts this weekend, and we’ll all be looking towards our burgers, steaks, and chicken. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t always immediately think of shrimp when I think of grilling. This is something that’s got to change, because they’re a fantastic, and a lot of times, a healthier choice.

I’ve given these giant prawns a Tex-Mex treatment, marinating them in Goya Sazon Liquida, garlic, Camino (or Cumin, as you non-Texans might call it), chili powder, and cilantro.

The chili powder gives just the right amount of heat, while the garlic and cilantro bring brightness and bite to fantastically fresh camaron.

Check back on Friday for a fantastic giveaway that might just have something to do with this recipe!

Tacos de Camaron
Print Recipe
Tacos de Camaron
Print Recipe

Comments

1. jamie says

I love shrimp and those are some mighty gorgeous shrimp. These tacos look like the perfect weeknight meal! Beautiful photo!

Thanks, Jamie. They certainly were. We had dinner on the table in about 10 minutes flat last night. All it took was about 5 minutes of prep work during my lunch hour to get the shrimp marinating.

Melissa, they are for me too. If I’m sick, tired, homesick, whatever – I head straight for the tacos. Breakfast tacos, fajitas, shrimp tacos, you name it.

We love to grill seafood, but like you when it comes to “cookout” food, it’s not what I usually turn to. This recipe is definitley getting bookmarked!

Oh, those tacos look AMAZING! I have some shrimp in the freezer that would be perfect for this dish. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome photos and this recipe.

P.S. The correct pronunciation of “camarón” (accent on the “i”) is [ka-ma-ROWN].

4. Karina says

Being Mexican, love Tacos de camarón… but I love with at least, a tradicional twist unknown for many people. Grilled your shrimps as your instructions… but instead of putting some fresh herbs/veggies, put a little bit of fried mashed pinto beans, a little of mayonnaise and a dash of Tabasco, with a little of lime juice… that’s for me the perfect Taco de camarón! :) Hope you can give them a chance!

actually prefer this kind of meal over a burger; don’t get me wrong, i do love a good burger but when it’s hot like today (when the heat index is at 98 degrees), i prefer something a bit lighter, yet still filling – these are perfect!!

This is making me SO hungry! I wish Darron liked shrimp, but alas, he does not. I’m thinking he can have some chicken tacos and I’ll make these for me… Soon :)

7. dmeaux1000 says

These tacos were wonderful. Fixed them last night on the stove instead of grilling and they were so easy. I added a little grated cheese (parmesan, romano and provolone) to top them off. Everyone needs to try these.