Movie Theatre Cookies

I haven’t been as excited to post anything to this blog in a long time as I am these Movie Theatre Cookies. They started out as just an inkling of an idea when James and I went to the cinema to see Tron: Legacy (visually beautiful, but not so much the plot).

I don’t know about you, but I can’t go to the movies without popcorn. With butter. It makes me sad to sit through a film without it. Oh, I know it’s horrible for you. I really do. But I love it. James prefers to have sweets when we go to the film. A “Super Squishy” (ICEE) or some Raisinets. And that’s where this idea first popped up. James got Raisinets that day we saw Tron. And he said to me, “Wouldn’t Raisinets be awesome in cookies?”. Yes, yes they would be.

Now, plenty of people have put Raisinets in oatmeal cookies. That one’s kind of a no-brainer. Easy to swap in chocolate covered raisins where you would normally use regular raisins. But what if you put Raisinets in a chocolate chip cookie, and you also added popcorn?

It took me a couple of tries, a couple different kinds of batter. I even tried other movie theatre add-ins – whoppers, sugar babies, even snow caps. All were good, but the flat out, miles-ahead winner in my testing is the Raisinets and Kettle Corn combination.

Did you know that in the UK, the cinema gives you a choice of Sweet or Salty popcorn at the concession stand? It’s pretty awesome.. until you realize they don’t offer you Butter topping. That made me sad. But it also made me think that Kettle corn, with it’s sweet and salty beauty, would be the better option here. Kettle corn might not have been the obvious choice, but I think butter popcorn would have been too overwhelming.

These are literally the best cookie I have ever ever ever made. The kettle corn and raisinets with the cookie dough turn into this sweet-salty euphoria that I could write sonnets about. I can’t stop eating them, I can’t stop thinking about how great popcorn is in cookies.. I may need a 12 step program.

OA, here I come.

Comments

Okay- I have to comment RIGHT NOW even before I’ve started reading. That is the BEST picture of a cookie that I’ve ever seen!!!!! Kudos :) I bet the recipe’s amazing too!

Amber – I’ve been waiting for this post. You’ve outdone yourself this time. Never would have thought to put popcorn in a cookie-it’s such a novel idea. These look ahhh-mazing. Yum! (Love the photo!)

Good Lord these look amazing, and that photo is just gorgeous! I can’t wait to try these out, although I think I’m going to go with the whoppers. Major, major yum!!

I’m so excited about this recipe! Perfect for Oscar season! I have to have popcorn at movies, too, with butter and Peanut M&Ms. I may substitute the Raisinets when I make mine.

After hearing all about these cookies, I couldn’t wait to see them… And, they do not disappoint! The texture looks absolutely perfect. I’ll be adding them to my baking list. Yum :)

I. Love. This. Recipe.
    Raisinets and popcorn are my all time favorite movie snack.
    I have all ingredients in my pantry at this very moment…
    gotta gooooooooo

These cookies are ingenious! I mean, how has someone not thought of them before. Amazing.

And i agree…a movie without popcorn…no matter how good the movie is…is just a depressing experience.

8. Stefanie says

I loved the idea – and HAD to try them! Now my apartment smells really delicious. And these cookies are so darn good! Actually, I was thinking about saving some for our monthly movie night on Monday. But I’m afraid those yummy cookies won’t survive until then…
    Thanks so much for the recipe!

I am totally making these for my Oscar party in a few weeks!

Quick question – I’d like to be able to prepare/refrigerate the dough the day before so all I have to do is scoop and bake the next day. I’m worried that the popcorn will absorb liquid and get soft – do you think they’d be as good if I refrigerated them overnight?

• Amber says

Jessica, I would mix in everything bit the popcorn until about an hour before you bake it. Allow the dough to come back to mostly room temp and then mix the popcorn in.

I work as a marketing manager for eight unique movie theaters so I couldn’t pass this recipe up! Made them this weekend and everyone at work got a kick out of these cookies and gobbled them up!

11. Rosa says

Does anyone have a recipe for kettle-corn? We live overseas where it is not available…but these cookies sound and look great!