“Apple of Your Eye” Apple Cider Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

One of the greatest gifts that has come from being a food blogger is the wonderful number of absolutely lovely people I now call friend. Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen is one of those friends.

My favorite thing about Kristan is her hilarious sense of humor. Every single post Kristan writes has me laughing out loud. The videos on YouTube of her pranking her son, Jon David, literally had me crying real tears. When I grow up, I want to be a mom just like her.

Today we celebrate our Cookbook Queen, and her beautiful baby girl due to arrive in about four weeks. I can’t wait to meet little Miss Ava Lucille, or as her mama is already calling her, Lucy. If there ever was a woman who loved sparkle and spice, and needed a little girl to share that with, it’s Kristan.

Kristan, I made these Apple Cider cupcakes for the newest Apple of your Eye. I did everything I could to channel your creative genius, using as much candy as I could to create a cute little topper for each cupcake. I hope I did you proud.

I am so happy for you, my friend. Congratulations to you and Jess, and Jon David too!

Cookies and Cups | Zebra Cake Cupcakes
Chocolate and Carrots | Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes
Bake at 350 | Little Pumpkin Cupcakes
Living Locurto | Baby Shower Printables

"Apple of Your Eye" Apple Cider Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting
"Apple of Your Eye" Apple Cider Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

Comments

Aw, Amy, great idea! If I’d had my act together way back in September, these would have been a good idea for then too. They were a snap to put together. I think I actually spent longer at Party City trying to find all the various candies without having to buy giant bulk bags to get what I wanted.

Leslie, it’s funny – ever since I started working with Green Mountain Coffee, I find ALL sorts of recipe uses for the k-cup packs. I just love the apple cider k-cup packs because I can use them all year long whenever a recipe idea strikes me, rather than waiting for it to be apple cider season. I made this pork and kale hash a while back with them too.. just incredible.

Why thank you, Hayley! I’m glad you like them. I was totally intimidated by the toppers when I started, but they ended up being really easy.

Amber I LOVE these!! Those toppers are just too perfect (although now I’m scratching my head, thinking…why didn’t I think of that??)

I am so glad to have gotten to know you, you are the sweetest and I’m lucky to call you a friend. THank you for making my morning so special!!

Kristan, I’m so glad you like them! You know this little candy-manipulation thing is way outside my wheelhouse, but I really had fun. Can’t wait to see little Lucy, friend! <3

Thanks, Teresa! You too! Those cupcake liners are from the new range that Reynolds is doing where the colors are supposed to stay “true” – I got them at the regular grocery store.

2. Leslie says

My husband’s birthday is Sunday and he loves this combination, GREAT timing! Quick question: for the frosting you can use 1 stick salted and 1 stick unsalted butter? Thank you for sharing and happy (virtual) baby shower, Kristan!

Hooray, Leslie! I’m excited for you to make these.

When it comes to the frosting, if you’re omitting the shortening, you would need to use 2 more sticks of butter. You could use at one salted stick, but I wouldn’t use more than that (so that’s 2 unsalted, 1 salted). Just remember that butter is nowhere near as room temperature stable as shortening, so keep these babies refrigerated until you’re ready to serve them.

• Leslie says

Ooooh now I understand, I didn’t read it carefully. I will have to invest in some shortening, thanks for your quick reply!