Fritos Friday: Frito Jets

A while back, I happened upon an NPR sponsored radio show, Hidden Kitchens: Texas, narrated by Willie Nelson.

Listening to talk radio is not normally my thing, but I was intrigued by the description: “the Texas experience through food and the stories of people who find it, grow it, cook it, sell it, celebrate with it, and write about it”.

As I listened, flashes of old ice houses around San Antonio, taco restaurants that are still open today, it was all brought to life by Willie’s voice.

One part of the show that totally captivated me was the interview with Kaleta Doolin, the daughter of C. E. Doolin, the founder of the Frito (and later, FritoLay) Company.

She spoke of her mother and grandmother creating recipes using fritos, of her dad thinking fritos were a perfect food, and of him bringing home fresh bags, straight from the fryer (but before they’d had salt added – he was actually vegetarian, and quite health conscious).

You may not realize that Fritos are a San Antonio creation. While C. E. didn’t invent fritos (originally fritas – spanish for “little fried things”), he did recognize their genius, and purchased the patent and materials from the original maker for $100.

One recipe Kaleta mentioned during the broadcast is quite simple, but also quite ingenious – Frito Jets. Fritos dipped in milk chocolate and then cooled.

Frito Jets do not appear in the book Kaleta wrote last year, but there are tons of other fantastic recipes. I’ll be featuring some of them here on B&B because I am smitten. Check out Fritos Pie: Stories, Recipes and More for yourself, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Frito Jets are a fantastic party food, and I won’t lie – it took all the will power I possess not to scoff the entire tray in one sitting.

Fritos are a weakness at the best of days, but dipped in chocolate? Oh. My.

Fritos have inspired me! Fritos Friday will be a regular occurrence around B&B. What will you make for Fritos Friday?

Fritos Friday: Frito Jets
Fritos Friday: Frito Jets

Comments

It’s a real problem, Robyn. I have an entire bag of ’em in the fridge! Hidden behind a lot of large bottles so that it’s real work to get to them.

What a great NPR show! I’m going to have to find that! I hope they have it in podcast format! Do you know?

Are these called jets because you want to JET THEM INTO YOUR FACE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE?? I do!

My fiance is hanging out with my parents in Dallas all day today. I’m so jealous. I’m stuck in Cali. I thought you would understand :(

I linked to it there in the post, Tina – http://www.kitchensisters.org/hktexas/hk_texas.htm – not sure if it’s a podcast, but I think you can download an mp3 of it from Kitchen Sisters.

I think they were made when jumbo jets were first coming into being, but I like your idea better. Cus.. yeah. James nearly had to hold an intervention, 5 minutes after I made these.

I totally understand. Like that time James went on a business trip to Houston and ate his face off with Tex-Mex while I was up here in Jersey. Down with that sort of thing!

2. Angie R. says

Ok, I’m a Texas girl (born in Ft. Worth, raised in Waxahachie and recently now living in Waco), but I have to say these really threw me for a loop when I first saw the picture. I was like, “is that chocolate on Frito scoops? Really?” But then I started thinking about there is chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate covered peanuts, so why not chocolate covered Fritos. I am so intrigued by how these must taste. I may just have to make some for tonight when we’re watching our Baylor Bears in the Sweet Sixteen. Sic ’em Bears!
    P.S. – My friends and I are planning a girl’s weekend getaway in May and we’re going to San Antonio!

Angie, your thought process was pretty much exactly the same as mine. As I listened to the radio show, I was like, “Fritos and chocolate, what?!” and actually rewound the show. I think they’d be GREAT for football watching. Enjoy the Friday Night Lights, darlin’!

If you need any restaurant or sightseeing tips on San Antonio, let me know, okay? You can email me at amber@bluebonnetsandbrownies.com.

As usally GREAT post. And the best part is? I have chili Fritos and I love spicy chocolate and I happen to have a hidden stash of Hershey bars (my manbeast keeps eating the baking milk chocolate grrr) I AM SO MAKING these TODAY! I would dare to say the perfect PMS blend.. salty and chocolaty!

Kriss, I completely agree about that PMS blend 😉 Do you mean the Tapatio Fritos or the Flamin’ Hot ones? I hope you don’t mean Chili Cheese, cus as much as I love those, I totally draw the line at chocolate and cheese. 😉

*faceplant* the Tapatio … we suck that down in our house like water so it was only natural that when my husband came across a bag at the local store during a buy 2/$4 he bought 8 bags. He was sent to the store to buy salad stuff … we were starting a diet that week… yes Chili Cheese *shuddering* with chocolate.. NOT a good thing

4. suzanne says

yum, Fritos and chocolate two of my favorite things. My husband had never had heard of Frito pie until we got married. When we moved to Texas he was surprised to see it on a restaurant menu. I feel bad that the man had to go 30 years before he ever experienced the joy of chili, cheese and fritos.

5. Konnie says

that’s so silly. running out of chocolate……hahahahaha. saving them in the refrigerator? are you kidding. – what are you a saint?? no! triple the sauce qauntities and eat them all as soon as cooled (or not) just sit on the sofa with the bag on one side and the warm dip in a bowl on your lap…………….

These are so fun! I love anything sweet & salty, and sadly I can’t remember the last time I had Fritos. These look so addicting!