Candy Cane Kiss Cookies

Cookie swaps are a relatively new concept to me. While I often baked cookies for family and friends in Texas, I don’t remember anyone ever getting together to swap what we’d baked. Certainly it never happened in England, I think I was one of the few people I knew that baked or cooked from scratch at all.

When I saw Julie from The Little Kitchen tweet that they were throwing together a virtual swap, amongst food bloggers, I thought, “How fun!” and immediately signed up.

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2011
You can sign up for next year now!

Now, I don’t know about you, but in the last few years, one of my favorite things about when the holidays roll around is Hershey’s seasonal Candy Cane Kisses. I actually buy up 5 or 6 bags and freeze them, just so I can have my favorite white chocolate + peppermint combination year ’round.

I haven’t figured out yet the best way to chop these guys up into chip-sized morsels, though a food processor works pretty well. I’ve also tried it by hand with a knife (tedious) and even with a meat tenderizer (cathartic, but again, tedious). So far, a food processor with a shredding blade works best.

Next time I make these guys, I think I’m going to bump up the white chocolate quotient by adding a cup of white chocolate chips, but I’m really pleased with how they turned out. The addition of holiday non pariels mimics the slight crunch in the Candy Cane Kisses.

The peppermint flavor from the Kisses combines so well with the vanilla sugar cookie base, it simply makes for a delicious, buttery, minty cookie.

So far I have received two batches of cookies, wonderful Snickers Peanut Butter Cookies from Nutmeg Nanny. Next to arrive were beautiful Eggnog Cookies from Hannah. Miss PostLady is hopefully bringing me a surprise from Loy at From Grandma Loy’s Kitchen today. I can’t wait to see what they are!

Are you getting excited for the holidays yet?!

Comments

They are! Though I don’t recommend trying to bake with the creme de menthe ones. That experiment did not go well :/ The creamy filling did not bake well, even from frozen. Those are best just for eating :)

All I can say is, Make These Cookies! They are delicious. Thanks again, Amber. I hope the postal lady brings your cookies soon. Thanks for the warning about the creme de menthe kisses. I was going to try them in my Hidden Kiss Cookies. Maybe I will skip that now. The cherry kisses worked very well, however.

Loy, you’re a sweetheart. And hey, I believe the insides of the cherry cordial and creme de menthe kisses are the same consistency. So if you found a recipe that works, go for it! (And share!)

How fun! I wanted to join in on the cookie swap, but had too much going on this year. These cookies look lovely though; I have no doubt the lucky recipient of your cookies was absolutely thrilled!

Have you tried the Dove Peppermint Bark candies? Omgggg. They’re like the Hershey’s peppermint kisses but with dark chocolate too. SO GOOD.

These cookies look seriously delicious. I have this thing about “wasting” seasonal candy on baked goods but if I can get past that, I’m definitely making them!

Amanda, I have not! How have I missed those? I usually go for the ghirardelli peppermint bark, which is AMAZING.

I get what you’re saying about “wasting” – but I buy like 10 bags at a time so they last through the year, so they have to go somewhere. :)

Yum!! I love those candy cane kisses, so I have to give this a try! I made peppermint mocha blossoms (like the peanut butter cookies with regular kisses in the middle… but mocha cookies w/ peppermint kisses) over the weekend, and I just happen to have some kisses left over. :)