Homemade Biscoff Cookies

I don’t really remember the first time I had a Biscoff biscuit clearly. I know it was on a Delta flight, but where or whence I’d come or gone I’ve long since forgotten.

That happens when you spend two years in a long distance relationship plus work travel, I think. The flights start to blur together, the checkpoints and passport stamps seem blasé.

Sitting here now, working from home, having not traveled abroad since last October, no flights anywhere since May – well, I think maybe I was a bit spoiled back then! Biscoff cookies, though, they take me back to that time.

To the flights and the longing for my guy on the other side of the world, and of having so many adventures together. Kinda fun, right?

Not long ago I posted a recipe for Biscoff Bites using Biscoff Spread. When I posted it to my facebook page, some lovely person (I wish I could say exactly whom – FB won’t let me go back that far in posts) linked me to a recipe for the original cookies.

The original post appears on Mum in Bloom, a blog written by Sarah, but I don’t think it was Sarah that left the comment. Regardless, my thanks to both Sarah and that commenter for pointing me at these delicious little homemade morsels of WIN!

The homemade Biscoff Cookies are wonderful soft and hot out of the oven, but if you allow them to cool for at least an hour, you get the crispness you expect from the store-bought cookies.

The dough is very similar to a shortbread. When Sarah blogged them, she baked them in a casserole dish and ended up with a rather thick cookie, which I imagine had a very shortbread like texture.

But I love the thin, crunchy, melt in your mouth texture of store-bought Biscoffs as much as their brown-sugar-cinnamon flavor, so I rolled the cookies out like pastry dough and used a small biscuit cutter to make perfect little crunchy disks.

Make sure the dough is nice and thin – no more than 1/4″, so that you get a crispy cookie.

Comments

Oh how I love Biscoff cookies! This homemade version looks amazing. Maybe I’ll even dunk them in some Biscoff spread just to be extra ridiculous. ;-)

Katrina, that spread is like.. life changing. But after you’ve tried the store-bought version, you could totally make your own with these cookies.

Thanks! I loved how the original blogger made them, but I thought we could make them more authentic to the original by using a cookie or biscuit cutter.

The kids are going to love doing the cookie cutting, Kristen! And then you can make homemade biscoff spread with the leftovers – bake it up anyway and then throw it in the food processor!

You have no idea how thankful I am for this recipe – – I’ve heard so many people talking about biscoff cookies, and I’ve never been able to come across them. I will definitely have to give this a try

We just began our Biscoff obsession a few months ago. When I purchase a few packages of the cookies, they vanish! Not sure what will happen when I try this recipe!

Someone must be on a mission…saw my tweeting and sent me to the same post. This is a bit of a whoo whoo moment; mine are in the oven. I’m a bit scared. I could barely control myself with them. They are the PERFECT coffee dipping cookie.

The first mini batch was fine but your rolling does lend them to having smoother edges than my method of rolling them into balls and then pressing them. But it’s easy. My 2nd little batch I used a cocktail glass with a cut crystal design on the bottom and I liked them better with that bit of decor. Now I think I must make some frosting from the spread and pull it all together in one perfect sandwich cookie. I’m only testing 6 at a time. That forces a limit of how many I can eat. That’s a real fear since I ate the entire box of cookies I bought in one sitting!

I made these tonight!! Biscoffs are my weakness so I cut the recipe in half because I didn’t want to eat too many. I will say the dough was a little tough to roll out. No matter how much flour I put on my rolling pin, the dough would stick. I ended up using my hands to roll the dough and then smash it. It worked out. The cookies came out great. I can’t wait to eat them tomorrow when the cookies get more crisp.