Coconut M&M Cookies

On Saturday, my nephew David turns 5. Five years ago, my husband and I had just disembarked from a cruise ship, and barely made it through customs (where cell phones are not allowed) when my phone began to ring. I answered it to hear both my mother’s tears, and Davey’s first cries too. There I stood, in the middle of a sidewalk at New York City’s cruise pier, crying my eyes out.

Four months later, I met Davey for the first time. We gathered at Canyon Lake, Texas, a place that my sister and I spent the majority of our childhood summers, spring breaks, and long weekends. Chellee and Jeremy walked out of their cabin, and put a little baby wearing only a diaper into my arms. He promptly threw up on me.

I have been in love with that kid since day one. Both of ’em, really. But this post is all about Davey. He’s funny. He’s smart. He feels things so deeply, sometimes he cries just because he can’t imagine spending the weekend without his mom and dad several months down the road. He has to have things in twos, just like his daddy – you can’t just give him one cookie or crayon. He’s gotta have one for each hand. He thinks his Uncle James is hilarious and also talks kinda funny. Poppa is his best friend in the entire world, and someday, he’s going to be a musician and a cowboy. Oh, and maybe a soccer and basketball player too.

Davey’s favorite color is green. When I picked up these coconut M&Ms and realized they only come in green, white, and brown, I knew he would love cookies made with them. The other day on the phone, he told me he saw a coconut at the store, and he wanted to buy it! I love how adventurous he is, with food and with life. These cookies went into the mail to Davey in time for him to get them for his birthday party.

Happy Birthday, Davey!

Love,
Aunt Amber & Uncle James

One last photo. I die.

Coconut M&M Cookies
Print Recipe
Coconut M&M Cookies
Print Recipe

Comments

Oh my gosh -he’s so cute! I love 5 year-old boys, perhaps because that’s the age my Noah is now. Davey looks like such a good kid.

I’ll never forget the moment I became an auntie, too. That precious phone call…

Coconut M&m’s are new to me. I don’t think we have them up here yet.

Have a great weekend, Amber! xox

Thanks, Christina! It’s always a little difficult for me to write about them – I always cry! So silly of me, but I do. They cookies were really really good. I may have kept one or two as a tester 😉

Crazy good idea! I thought about adding other stuff at the time, but you know, sometimes kids freak out at unfamiliar textures, so I went simple. But I’d love to hear about it if you try it!

2. Chellee Huntsman says

That’s my BOY! What a sweet post Aunt Amber…Davey and I just finished reading it together and he kept wiping my tears telling me not to cry.

It brought back some of his earlier memories. I love you and thank you for being the most awesome Aunt on the universe.

Sis

Super cute nephew you have there! My youngest is six and they are so much fun at that age. The cookies look awesome and I can tell cute little Davey hasc3m the funnest aunt ever!

Great meeting you in person today at the bake sale! I love coconut M&M’s and I know plenty of people who would love these cookies (especially my friends and family in Canada who apparently can’t find these M&M’s) Will definitely try them out!

5. Mom says

Amber, I can remember the day so clearly when David was born. He is definitely a special little man who loves his aunt and uncle so much. You made his day very special and of course when Chellee wanted to put the cookies out for the party; he told her no these are my special cookies just for me from Aunt Amber and I want to keep them all for myself.

Love you, Mom

Hey Ashley,

You’d probably need to do them 1 or 2 minutes less. Just watch for browning around the edges and call it good! Thanks for your sweet words. :)