Virtual Picnic – Nanny’s Potato Salad

Earth Day is about celebrating the planet that we live on. The Nature Conservancy came up with the idea of having a Picnic for the Planet. They’re encouraging communities around the globe to come together and enjoy the great outdoors, good food, and each other and celebrate the beauty that is Nature this Earth Day.

Getting together with a bunch of your favorite blogging friends, however, might not be very green. We live all over the world, and flying is not a very green way to travel. So instead, we’re having a Virtual Picnic for the Planet.

What would I take to our picnic? My Nanny’s Potato Salad.

My Nanny’s potato salad is legendary. People all over San Antonio know her, and lately, my sister, for it. It’s always been their go-to barbecue, picnic, or potluck side dish.

Chellee, my sister, will tell you that it’s the poppy seeds that make it special. I’ll tell you I think it’s the poppy seeds and the love. My grandmother has made this potato salad more times than I can remember, usually to go along side cold fried chicken, slow smoked brisket, and delicious borracho beans. That right there, folks, is a Texan picnic.

Today is Earth Day. I for one want the Earth to be as healthy as it possibly can be, so that the lives of Chellee’s children, David and Ava, are long and prosperous.

Visit the Nature Conservancy’s website for more information about throwing your own Picnic for the Planet in your neighborhood. And maybe take Nanny’s potato salad with you.

Visit the rest of my Picnicking Pals around the web for a scrumptious virtual picnic full of salads, sandwiches, desserts and drinks perfect for your own Picnic for the Planet.

Simple Bites | Pressed Sandwiches
What’s Cooking with Kids | Kale Chips
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Mini Lemonade Cakes
TidyMom | Picnic Pies in a Jar

Virtual Picnic - Nanny's Potato Salad
Virtual Picnic - Nanny's Potato Salad

Comments

Oh yum on the poppy seeds! I’m with you it’s the love as well :) I can’t wait to try your Nanny’s potato salad this summer.Wish we were just a smidgen closer love.

Tell ya a secret: I cut down the recipe until it served 2 people to take this photo. 2 potatoes, 1 egg, 2 tbsp mayo. Was totally channeling you!

This potato salad looks perfect! I’ve never put poppy seeds on potato salad before, but I am totally going to try this next time!

I want you to go on a Texas picnic WITH me!

I’m so glad you let me team up with you. Give me a week to rest, then we can start over! ;)

Wow your potato salad looks amazing. I LOVE poppyseeds but never though about adding them to potato salad. What a great idea. I’m so glad I found your blog, I love it! :)

Well thanks for the lovely comment, Lindsey! You’re a sweetheart!

I’m telling you – everyone that ever sees Nanny’s potato salad for the first time says the same thing: “Poppy seeds?”
      Then they taste it. And it’s all she wrote!

I love potato salad. My mom makes a great one and I try so hard to recreate it-but it just isn’t my moms. This picnic series is great! I love picnics!

Im jumping all over your blog hungrily. It was this and now ofto borracho sp? Beans… :-) AND lol @ natures seasonings…I put that stuff in everything. That’s my house seasoning!

Haha. It’s our “house” spice too. That and McCormick’s Season-All. I put that crap in everything. Fried chicken, chicken soup, roast beef…

Potato Salad. wow. i never tried this. whenever there is an option to make salad i regularly tries varieties of onion with other vegetables. but never tried of this potato sald. good one. thanks for sharing the recipe.