Cascarones

You might be asking yourself, what the heck is a cascarone (Cask-ca-roe-neh)? A cascarone is a hollowed egg that has been dyed and filled with confetti, and then resealed using tissue paper. What is the purpose of cascarones, you might now ask yourself. In South Texas and Mexico, cascarones are as synonymous with Easter as dyed hard boiled eggs are in the rest of North America.

In doing research for this post, I found that cascarones have actually been around hundreds of years, maybe even thousands. Some people believe they even started in Roman times. The egg symbolizes fertility, which is what Spring is all about. No matter which era we’re talking about, to have a cascarone broken on top of your head (covering you in confetti) is meant to be a sign of good will and good fortune for the rest of the year.

Plus, it’s really fun to break eggs on top of your friends’ heads and cover them in brightly colored confetti!

In San Antonio, you find cascarones in roadside stands by the hundreds in the week leading up to Easter. No head is safe, especially at the multitude of festivals that take place in San Antonio this time of year: Night in Old San Antonio, Fiesta, Oysterbake, Jazzfest, and the Poteet Strawberry Festival.

Today is the last day of Fiesta, and so I thought it only appropriate to tell you about cascarones. They can be a super fun craft to do with your kids in addition to your normal Easter traditions, and you can teach them about a new culture at the same time.

Happy Fiesta!

Cascarones
Cascarones

Comments

What a great idea! I love the history of them. You know that I’ll be making dozens of these right? It’s goign to be like a water balloon fight around here on Easter now :)…{giggle}

Well, if I weren’t making a dozen handmade felt bunny finger puppets, I’d definitely make these. Oh well, time to rely on HEB. A must for next year though!

OK – you are going to laugh. I tried making these a couple of weeks ago, but had no idea how to do it. It was when I was sick and I just thought a pin size hole in the bottom would be enough. So I blew and blew and blew and about died because my head was exploding anyway.
    I gave up.
    Who knew that I just needed a much bigger hole!! Great craft idea.

I’ve never heard of this tradition before but it sounds like SO much fun! I guess I missed it this time around, but I’ll definitely have to participate next year!

Boys especially seem to love them, Naomi. They get to destroy something and make a big mess at the same time. What’s not to love?

Beautiful photos and great directions! I grew up with Cascarones. (BTW: they are pronounced /Cask-ca-roe-n/ as singular and /Cask-ca-roe-nehS/ with the /s/ at the end as plural. Also, there is no “tilde” (no “ñ”)above the letter n in the word “cascarones”.) It’s not Easter at our house without cascarones. Which reminds me: we better hurry up and dye some or we’ll be stuck buying them this year!

Thanks for the correction. I searched several different places online and it was listed both ways, so I went with what I remembered being on the signs last time I was home during the season. Guess I was wrong! I’ve fixed it now.

So fun! We used to make these when we were kids and we’d throw them at each other (outside the house so my mom didn’t kill us) kind of paintball style. :)

7. Ana Dowling says

I grew up with cascarones (there is no ñ, I hope you correct it). It’s a very fun tradition and it always reminds me and my cousins in Mexico breaking the eggs on each other’s head, such a happy memory!!

Hi Ana,

As I said above, I researched it, and most places seemed conflicted about it, so I used what I remembered being on signs the last time I was home. I guess that’ll teach me to trust roadside signs! I’ve corrected it now. They’re such a happy memory for me too!