Spiced Apple & Pear Butter

Spiced Apple and Pear butter is kind of becoming my canning specialty. Fruit butters are great for canning because there’s no messing around with any jelling agents or pressure canning. Just straightforward fruit, sugar, spices, and a water bath canner.

Typically, I cook up a batch of this in the slow cooker over a few days and then can it in 4 or 8 oz jars. This time I canned it in pint jars because that’s what I had handy. The butter can be spread on toast, or used in recipes that call for jam, like these chocolate chip jam bars by my friend Tracy.

Keeping little 4 or 8 oz jars of this around makes for a quick and easy grab as you head out to dinner parties or as something a little extra to throw into a gift bag. I usually put a pretty label and a little satin ribbon on my jars as I move to store them, and then it really is as simple as grabbing them out of the cupboard as I walk out the door to a party.

What’s your favorite thing to can?

Comments

Yum! I love canning… Just yesterday I was thinking about how I need to start using up everything I canned last summer so that I can start canning again when warmer weather arrives.

I will definitely bookmark this one… Looks perfect for gifts!

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

This looks delicious! I need to get back into canning, haven’t done it in probably 10 years. I used to be a salsa canning queen. Now I just beg a few jars off my mom. :)

Having been one of the lucky samplers of this butter, I can say for a fact that it is amazingly delicious! I’ve only ever made plain apple butter before, and now I don’t think I can go back!

I so want to try this! I have a few questions, as this sort of thing is COMPLETELY new to me. What happens to the apple and pear seeds? And if the liquid is running low, should I add water, or more cider?

6. Susan says

I want to make a huge batch of this. I just bought a lug of apples. Can this recipe be doubled even Tripled or more?

7. Lynn says

Hello Amber,

I know this is a two-year-old post but I am just now making this for holiday gifts. You’re right; my house smells amazing after only 12 hours! Should I be concerned that the batches have too much liquid in them at this point? Typically how long will it take before they start to thicken naturally? I don’t mind adding arrowroot at some point but want to be sure it goes through the proper cooking/thickening process first. Thanks and happy holidays!

Lynn